Tuesday, 21 August 2012

It's a blog story, baby, just say "Yes"!



Rather than do a bunch of lacklustre posts simply for the sake of keeping my monthly tally of blog posts up, I've been choosing not to write as many posts recently. Partly, this is because of all the things going on in my life at the minute, but it's also because I've felt a lack of blogginess recently. Yet, whilst reading some other bloggers' posts, I came across this one by oh, hello friend in which Danni talks about why she started blogging in the first place; this got me thinking about my own "blog story", of why I started tumbleweed•twine in the first place - long, long ago and far, far away...

///

# A small translation: #

• "Long, long ago" = 29th October, 2011.
• "Far, far away" = exactly where I'm sat now.

Now, the story actually began a little earlier than this, although the 29th of October was the date I started the blog. When choosing a "culture" to design my final Textiles piece around, I chose Scottish culture, omitting to realise that I could think of little which was stereotypically Scottish except shortbread and tartan. Still, I trawled the Interweb for pictures of Scottishy things to put on my mood board; similarly, for another homework assignment, I had to find pictures of dresses which would be something like that which I hoped to make.

I can tell you, in case you were wondering, that there are very, very few pictures of Scottishy dresses on the Internet. I can also tell you that there are even fewer which the general public would even contemplate wearing. After hours - hours - of steadily giving up hope, I found a picture I could use, and clicked through to the site it came from, in order to get a bigger version.

It was then that I found myself reading the words next to the pictures avidly, and in some cases laughing out loud. Abandoning my homework for a while, I read and read and read the posts on that website, and its three other sister websites. I realised then that I'd found something which could allow me to waste even more of my life on the computer: blogs.

That was the first ever blog post I properly read, and all due to my Textiles homework. Incidentally, this is a picture of the Scottish-culture-inspired dress I finally made (my apologies for the weird in-action pose):


It was then that I began reading those four blogs: The Fashion Police, Shoeperwoman, Forever Amber and Hey, Dollface!, all four of which I still read pretty much daily (even if one hasn't been updated since March. Cough. Grr). Then some more blogs were mentioned on those ones; I visited those; they mentioned more; it all snowballed. I ended up visiting copious amounts of blogs. Since I enjoyed reading them so much, I even started typing into search engines "fashion blogs" and clicking on the ones which came up. I had folders and folders of blogs I would read, daily.


(Note those little arrows at the top and bottom of the lists? That means there were more. Way more.)

Thinking about it, it was probably six months or so that I read all these blogs, until I began thinking, "I don't just want to read other people's posts - I want to make my own." As a sort of practice, I opened a document in which I wrote short articles - preliminary posts, if you will. Some of them have ended up on here, such as my first ever post; some have been relegated to remain, forever, on that document, as they were really rather awful. Writing a few test posts, without them being published, was a way of seeing whether I could actually hack this "blogging" lark.

So then, one day at home, I was pretty bored, and I thought that I might actually have a go at creating a proper blog. I went through many variations of the name and tagline (which I think I'll write about in a future post, if any of you were wondering how the name "tumbleweed•twine" came to be!) before settling on the one I have now.

And that's my blog story! If you're a blogger, it's your turn! When, why, how did you start your blog? What made you do it? Put your links in the comments if you've written one of your own, and I'll add them at the bottom of this post (:




/// Look at Roni's story in the comments below! ///

19 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I'm completely blown away by this post: I think inspiring someone to start their own blog has to be the biggest compliment ever! Thanks so much, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you approve :') Thank you for your lovely comment! ♥

      Sarah ^.^

      Delete
  2. I think it is always so fun to hear stories of how blogs and bloggers were born! I adored your story Sarah and hope you will continue blogging as little or a much as you feel! Love continuing to see and hear your story!

    Love & Lollies... Jessa

    Caked Vintage Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. N'awwrh, thanks m'dear! I love hearing these stories; I just hope more people will do them too :') ♥

      Sarah ^.^

      Delete
  3. I get into ruts where I don't feel so inspired to continue with my blog, so I just take breaks. I'd rather take a break and have my blog make the sound of crickets (and me sort of hate myself for abandoning it) for a few days/weeks than blog about crap. If I open up blogger, wanting to blog, but find myself at a loss for words, then I close my laptop and I just wait till I can..."talk" so to speak. So I understand exactly what you're saying. That being said, I enjoyed this post very much. It was so real and relatable. And I'd love to hear, in a post, how you came up with your blog name! That's always interesting, too :)
    I was reading blogs long before I created one, too. My husband and his best friend were actually the ones that pressured me for months and months to make my own but I was so hesitant because I sort of had this "well, what would I bring to the mix" attitude. I just felt like half the girls I was "following" already had a super similar style to mine, even wearing the exact same dresses and shoes! I just didn't think my blog would be different and therefore not really be pleasing to read. But duh, I'm not the same person those girls with a similar STYLE are. I'm different and my husband and his friend kept nagging me, almost daily, "so, you start that blog yet?" over and over. They just thought it'd be a good little outlet for me since I was already a life-long journal/diary keeper. Plus, since we had just moved to a new state, they thought it would help me 'make friends' again, since I'd found it not as easy to make friends with all the people at my school who were just much younger than I. So for me, it was a combination of things and I'm really glad I did it. I saw how supportive the girls in the blogosphere were with complete strangers, virtually, and I just wanted to be apart of such a seemingly happy place. And it really is. I love it, I love the girls/friends I've met, and I'm glad I decided to be part of it. :) There, that's my story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my good lord, that has got to be one of the longest comments I've ever received! :'D Thank you so very much for such a lovely long comment! Your story is so sweet - I have to thank your husband and his friend for pushing you into it ;D I've got to say exactly the same as you: the best part of blogging, indisputably, is the people I've met through it :) Thank you for being part of it! I should be writing about the name in a further post ;D ♥

      Sarah ^.^

      Delete
  4. I love your story of how you started blogging, might go and write a post about my start!!
    P.S- I've nominated you for a Liebster Award. SEE the link here- http://blaawgbanter.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/liebster-award-like-whhhat.html
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. N'awwrh, thank you hun! You'd better leave a link here if you do write it ;D Thank you so much for the award! I'll answer the questions in a post soon :) ♥

      Sarah ^.^

      Delete
  5. I like the Christmas Songs folder halfway down ;) Good story though :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaha, trust you to see that! :') I only saw it after I print-screened it.. but thank youuu! Have you done a blog story? ♥

      Sarah ^.^

      Delete
  6. Love this story! It's cool reading about other people's motivations for blog writing, think more folk should tell their story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find these types of posts so interesting! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yοu actuаlly makе іt sеem ѕo
    easу along with your presеntation hoωeѵег I find thіѕ toрic to bе actuаlly οne thing that I thinκ I wоuld neveг unԁerstand.
    Ιt κіnd of fееls too complicаtеԁ and еxtremely extеnsivе for mе.

    I am haνing a looκ ahead on youг subsеquent рut
    up, ӏ will try to get the hang of it!

    mу weblοg: kursy językowe wrocław

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey I knoω this is οff tοpic but I was wonԁering if yοu knеw of anу widgets Ӏ coulԁ add to
    my blog that automatісallу tωеet my nеwest twіttег updates.
    I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

    my blog ... bcmath

    ReplyDelete
  10. I ԁo аccept as tгue with all of the idеаs
    you've offered to your post. They are very convincing and will definitely work. Nonetheless, the posts are too quick for starters. May you please lengthen them a bit from subsequent time? Thank you for the post.

    My weblog; projekty ogrodów wrocław

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ӏt's perfect time to make some plans for the future and it'ѕ tіme to be happy.
    I've read this publish and if I may I want to suggest you some attention-grabbing things or advice. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I desire to read even more issues about it!

    Check out my site: Suggested Looking at

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweet blog! I fоunԁ it while surfing around on Yahoo
    News. Do you have any suggestіonѕ оn hоw to
    get lіstеd in Υahοo News? I've been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Many thanks

    Take a look at my web page - apache2handler

    ReplyDelete
  13. Every weekend i useԁ to paу a visit this site, for thе reason that i wish
    for enjoуment, since this this sіte conations genuinelу plеaѕant funnу data too.


    Here is my blog; apache2handler

    ReplyDelete
  14. I аm гeally enϳoying the theme/design of уour site.
    Dο уou ever гun into any brοwѕеr
    cοmpatibilitу іѕsues? A smаll number of my
    blоg auԁіenсe have complained abοut mу
    ѕite not working сοrrеctly in Exploreг but lοоkѕ great іn Chrоmе.
    Do you havе аny аdvice to help
    fix this issue?

    Му ωeb blog - apache2handler

    ReplyDelete

Hello there ^.^